Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Post 4 - Why D.I.Y?

Crafting, sewing, knitting, rawing, painting an so on, have been activities of great enjoyment and inspiration since my youth.

In 5th grade of elementary school, our teacher taught us to play the flute. That same year my father purchased a sewing machine. Soon thereafter he brought home scraps of pyjama parts from a textile warehouse he had done work for and I knewI was meant to make and sell flute holders for my class at 75 cents each. Which I did.

I still have the one I made for myself.

Making things and plunging into the realm of creation is an incredible experience that has never gotten old to me.

I've always been fascinated by the skill of the hand and so it was incredible to find out in 2006 that there was a blog dedicated to crafting, compiling ressources from the net of people who make their own bags, hats, soap, anything. Since Finding that first blog I've been immersed in a rhizome of ressources that seem to multiply incessantly everyday.

By the sheer quantity of blogs and communities focusing around Design and Crafting, it's obvious that people are interested.

Thread Banger

Whip Up

Craftzine

Etsy

Crafster

To name very few of the long list.

No comments:

Post a Comment